Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said his country has abandoned mediation efforts in Lebanon, where he described the situation as “dangerous,” in an interview with Al-Arabiya on Wednesday.
Saudi King Abdullah and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad had been in contact “with commitment to end the whole Lebanon problem,” Faisal said.
“When that did not happen, the [Saudi king] said he was pulling his hand out” from the effort, he told the Saudi-owned television news channel.
Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) Prosecutor-General Daniel Bellemare submitted his indictment on former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri’s 2005 assassination on Monday.
Hezbollah has demanded for months that Prime Minister Saad Hariri reject the tribunal and Saudi-Syrian officials have been in communication in an effort to resolve tensions over the issue.
However, on January 12 Hezbollah withdrew from the cabinet with its allies after the talks reportedly failed to effect a compromise, precipitating the government’s collapse.
Hariri is currently heading a caretaker government pending the outcome of consultations that have been postponed to next Monday.